Saturday, June 26, 2010

Vancouver to Osoyoos



Our morning started early - we were awake, so hit the road by about 8am. This meant we were able to stop for an early walk and have breakfast at Bridal Falls.

Back on the road, we drove through alpine forests with ski resorts along the road. At our next stop - one of these resorts, these funny little creatures were poking their heads up from holes all over the place. We found that they are ground squirrels, who only come out May, June, July. The rest of the year they hibernate in the network of tunnels underground.

The countryside opened up, with far less vegetation, though many very fast flowing rivers alongside the road. A number of Indian Reservations were placed alongside these rivers. At one point there was a large open-cut mine visible. There were many motorbikes along this road, being a Saturday.

Although we were quite tired when we arrived in Osoyoos, the Holiday Inn is located on the edge of a beautiful lake. The warm weather (low 30s) was so nice that Bill and Laura decided to take the opportunity for a kayak ride while I sat in the shade (I noticed everyone else sitting in the sun - I suppose when you have a short summer you grab every bit of sun you can!).

We have had a swim in the pool, a sit in the hot-tub, been down to the supermarket to buy goods for dinner, which I have cooked in the microwave and we have eaten. Daylight still, so Laura and Bill have gone for a walk along the waterfront. A lovely night for it - and a popular activity for a Saturday night. I can see them from our front window, overlooking the lake.

I was told by one of the motorcycling couples that the temperature here can reach the mid 40s in summer - one of the very few places in Canada to do so. It is comparatively temperate in winter also - snowing on only a couple of weeks per year. I think he did say the average winter temp is minus.... I am glad we are here now.

No comments:

Post a Comment